Opening and Managing a Spanish Bank Account.
There are two main types of banks in Spain:
- general retail and commercial banks (bancos), including registered foreign banks
- savings banks (cajas de ahorros). The core banking services offered by both these types of entities are generally the same. One of the main differences is that cajas de ahorros are traditionally confined to specific regions, although the major ones have branches throughout the country and legislatively they are limited liability companies, while banks are limited liability companies.
Spain has one of the highest ratios of bank branches per capita in Europe.
You might want to look into which banks offer an English-language service.Top Banks in Spain The top banks (bancos) in Spain include the following. Most provide website services and information in English:
- Banco Santander
- La Caixa
- Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA)
- Caja de Madrid (in Spanish)
- Banco Popular
- Banco Sabadell
- Caja de Ahorros del Mediterráneo
- Caixa Catalunya
- Ibercaja (in Spanish)
- Caixa de Galicia (in Spanish)
- Barclays Bank S.A.
- Unicaja (in Spanish)
- Bilbao Bizkaia Kutxa (BBK)